Who are we? We’re Shockers!
The history of Wichita State is built upon big ideas and the undaunted dreamers who
turned them into reality.
From the streets of Wichita to the far corners of space, Shockers have proven time
and time again that, at Wichita State, anything is possible. It was with this in mind
that the university set out to create a strategic plan that capitalized on Wichita
State’s unique DNA in a way that would leave a lasting impact on its students, its
city, its region and its world.
Vision and Mission
To be one of the nation’s premier urban public research universities, known for providing
impactful applied learning experiences and driving prosperity for the people and communities
To be an essential educational, cultural and economic driver for Kansas and the greater
Click on an icon or header link to see WSU efforts and objectives in support of each
Promote holistic student success through a supportive learning environment in which
all of our students — past, present and future — continually thrive and grow.
Accelerate the discovery, creation and transfer of new knowledge.
Empower students, faculty, staff and the greater Wichita community to create a culture
and experience that meets their ever-changing needs.
Be a campus that reflects and promotes – in all community members – the evolving diversity
Advance industry and community partnerships to provide quality educational opportunities
and collaborations to satisfy rapidly evolving community and workforce needs.
Values that have always underlined the culture at Wichita State.
- Personal responsibility
- Access and equity
Values necessary to achieve the goals of the strategic plan.
- Seizing opportunities
- Adaptive approaches
- Positive risk-taking
- Innovation and creativity
- Knowledge creation and dynamic educational opportunities
Helping families through access and affordability
- Provide an accessible, affordable and impactful higher education for all Kansans with
increased community connections and networks .
- Proposed enhancements: Marcus Welcome Center, Clinton Hall, Hubbard Hall and Rhatigan
- Diversify and develop our faculty and staff to better reflect our student body and
- Shocker Promise: Full tuition and fees for Pell-eligible families.
- Increase need-based aid.
Increasing economic prosperity with higher education that benefits the Kansas economy
- Support faculty-led interdisciplinary research initiatives (2020-2023).
- Support the needs of the region through the newly formed Strategic Engagement and
- Continue the development of the Innovation Campus by attracting new partners and establish the Maintenance, Repairing and Overhaul
- Continue developing and supporting innovation and new ventures.
- National Center for Aviation Training expansion.
- University Village: Enter into financially prudent public-private partnerships on
university-owned property that provide services.
- Support Wichita downtown development via hospitality, culinary arts, and health sciences.
- Enhance professional development opportunities for faculty and staff.
Wichita State by the Numbers
- Founded in 1895
- Student body from all 50 states, 111 countries, and six continents
- 76.8% of our graduates are employed in Kansas
- Wichita State Students have 2nd highest earnings out of college for any research university
- Wichita ranks No. 1 of 100 largest US metro areas in manufacturing jobs as a percentage
of all jobs.
- Of 100 largest U.S. metro areas Wichita ranks No. 1 in percentage of jobs involving
science, technology, engineering and math (STEM occupations).
- Wichita ranks No. 3 among metros for highest concentration of engineers per 1,000