October 2 - October 3, 2018
Hyatt Regency Wichita
400 West Waterman Street
Wichita, KS 67202
The Kansas Public Health Association is now accepting abstracts for the 75th annual
KPHA conference to be held at the Hyatt in Wichita, KS, October 2 & 3, 2018. This
year’s theme is: KPHA 2018: 75 Years Strong: Creating the Future of Kansas Public Health
Submission Deadline: Abstracts are to be submitted no later than the end of business, Thursday, May 31, 2018. No exceptions will be made for late submissions.
Benefits of Presenting:
• Enhance your professional visibility
• Gain valuable knowledge from national, state and local public health experts
• Shape the future of the public health profession
• Network with your public health colleagues from across the state
• Share your own knowledge and solutions
Selection Criteria - All submissions will be judged on the following criteria:
• Overall quality
• Relevance to the public health profession
• Timeliness of topic
• Audience appeal
• Well-defined focus of presentation
• Application of the material
• Professional background and speaking experience of the presenter(s)
Theme and Content:
The theme for the 2018 KPHA Conference is “75 Years Strong: Creating the Future of Kansas Public Health”. This year’s conference sessions will showcase best practices that are being implemented from the community level to the state level and celebrating public health achievements over the past 75 years. We will be focusing on how we can improve and shift our Kansas public health system to the Public Health 3.0 model. KPHA members will have the opportunity to look ahead, network and explore current and future public health challenges.
All presenters will be notified via email of abstract status on Friday, June 22, 2018. If accepted for presentation, you are giving permission for this abstract to be printed in conference materials.
Presenter Registration and Membership to KPHA:
You do not need to be a KPHA member to submit an abstract. However, if your abstract is selected in any presentation format, the presenting author(s) MUST become a KPHA member and register for the conference. A special one-day registration option will be available for those who want to attend the conference on the day they present only.
You can become a KPHA member at http://www.kpha.us/application. KPHA is an affiliate of American Public Health Association (APHA); we would encourage you to take this opportunity to renew your current membership or to join APHA as well. To learn more go to https://apha.org/membership.
Session presenters are NOT reimbursed for registration or expenses to attend the conference.
You will choose from one of three presentation styles: Oral, Poster or Sunflower Spotlight. The conference planning committee will do their best to honor your selection, but note that they may request you change the format to accommodate the maximum number of presentations.
NOTE: KPHA is offering a new presentation format this year! See the detailed description below. Internet will be available.
1. Oral presentations given during 60-minute breakout sessions.
2. Poster presentations are part of one 45-minute poster session on the morning of Wednesday, October 3, 2018.
3. Sunflower Spotlight presentations are short, succinct talks that are 15 minutes or less. It is best to focus on a single project or activity that serves as an example of one of Public Health 3.0’s critical dimensions: Strong Leadership & Workforce; Strategic Partnerships; Timely and Locally Relevant Data, Metrics and Analytics; Flexible & Sustainable Funding; Foundational Infrastructure. For more information about Public Health 3.0, click here.
Sunflower Spotlight Instructions:
Each of the dimensions will feature three presentations during a 60 minute breakout session on the afternoon of Tuesday, October 2, 2018. Your presentation will be one of three; each speaker should prepare a single (that means one) PowerPoint slide that includes your 4-5 speaking points and contact information. You will give the presentation twice, as we will repeat all speakers in each dimension in a second breakout session immediately following. This allows attendees to hear more than one set of Sunflower Spotlight presentations. Presenters must speak at both sessions.
Abstracts for oral, poster or sunflower spotlight presentations must be less than 250 words. Abstracts will be submitted online via the link below. The easiest way is to copy and paste from a Word document into the online form. Submissions may be related to the conference theme “KPHA 2018: Creating the Future of Kansas Public Health” or to other public health related topics. You will need the following information to submit an abstract online:
- Abstracts for oral, poster and sunflower spotlight presentation must be 250 words or less.
- All authors first and last name, professional degrees, job title, organization affiliation, phone and email address.
- Whether all authors are Public Health Practitioners, Academic Researchers or a Student.
- Which authors will be physically presenting at the conference.
- A brief bio of each author.
- Session Description not to exceed 600 characters. This is seperate from the abstract and will appear in the promotional online brochure that will be used by attendees to learn what information will be shared with them.
- Three learning objectives.
Contact the WSU Conference Office at 316-978-6493 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Check back in late July 2018 for registration.
- For more information regarding KPHA please visit www.kpha.us.
- To become a KPHA member please visit www.kpha.us/application.
- KPHA is an affiliate of American Public Health Association (APHA); we would encourage you to take this opportunity to renew your current membership or to join APHA as well. To learn more go to https://apha.org/membership.
- If you have questions regarding membership, please contact: Becky Tuttle at email@example.com.
Information Coming Soon for the 2018 KPHA Walk/Run
Hyatt Regency Wichita
400 West Waterman Street
Wichita, KS 67202
Special rates for conference attendees have been arranged with the Hyatt Regency Wichita. Single and double occupancy rates are $119.00 + tax per night.
Making a Reservation
Reservations must be received by September 14, 2018. When you make your reservation, please identify yourself as a Kansas Public Health Association Conference participant. To make a reservation by phone please call 316-293-1234 or CLICK HERE to reserve your room online.
Exhibitor/Sponsor Registration coming soon!
*Your application to exhibit at the annual conference will be reviewed by KANSAS PUBLIC HEALTH ASSOCIATION, and if it is determined that your product or information contradicts the KANSAS PUBLIC HEALTH ASSOCIATION mission or policies, your application will be denied and a refund will be made. The Kansas Public Health Association reserves the right to exercise their sole discretion in the acceptance or refusal of an application to exhibit at the annual conference for any reason, with or without cause.