The exceptions process allows students to petition for exceptions to specific academic rules and regulations. Exception petitions are considered by the College of Applied Studies Exceptions Committee on the 1st and 3rd Thursday of each month. Some petitions also require a decision from the University Exceptions Committee. The University Exceptions Committee meet the 3rd Thursday of each month.
Types of Exceptions
- College & University Decision
Readmission after dismissal
Late withdraw from courses (Current Semester or Previous Semester)
Late add/drop of courses
Change Credit to Audit or Audit to Credit
- College Only Decision
Conditional admission into Teacher Education
Substitution of courses in program
Student Teaching Placement
- Completes Exception Form
- Attach necessary documentation
- Submit form to College of Applied Studies Advising (CASA) by mail, fax, or in person
Mail to: Wichita State University - Applied Studies Advising
1845 Fairmount St., Box 131
Wichita, KS 67260-0131
Fax: (316) 978-3302
In Person: Corbin Education Center, Room 107
All Teacher Education Field Experience requests must be signed by the faculty advisor with supporting documentation.
Petitions should be submitted at least two days prior to scheduled meeting.
January 4 and 18
February 1 and 15
March 1 and 15
April 5 and 19
May 3 and 17
June 7 and 21
July 5 and 19
August 2 and 16
September 6 and 20
October 4 and 18
November 1 and 15
December 6 and 20
How to Improve Your Request for an Exception
The request for an exception to a college or university regulation is a request for special consideration. The obligation to clearly and completely present the case rests with the student. Exceptions are never automatically granted. Do not treat this request as a trivial or casual event.
The guidelines offered here are suggestions for improving your chances of getting approval of your request.
1. Seek advice:
- Schedule an appointment with an CASA advisor or your faculty advisor to discuss your case. If the request involves a specific course, discuss it with the instructor. Some requests can be strengthened if accompanied by the instructor’s endorsement.
2. Fill out the form appropriately:
- In Part I, state WHAT you are requesting (e.g., readmission, late drop, etc).
- In Part II, clearly state WHY you are requesting the exception. Demonstrate why, your situation, the rule or the requirement should be waived.
- Attach documents that support your case. For example, in the case of an illness, attach medical documents.