Sport Management Graduate Program Overview
Wichita State's sport management degree provides students with a quality curriculum including courses such as management in sport, sport marketing, and sport law. Students pursuing the Master of Education in Sport Management degree gain academic and practical preparation for careers in the management of sport entertainment, sport participation and sporting goods organizations. Graduates of this program work in a variety of sport settings including intercollegiate athletics, major league and minor league professional sports, fitness, recreation, and specialized sport businesses. The department is committed to a process of strategic growth and impactful curricular and applied programming. See our Graduate Enrollment Management plan for more information.
WSU's Master of Education in Sport Management has received specialized accreditation from the Commission on Sport Management Accreditation (COSMA) located in Fort Collins, Colorado.
- Program is 30 credit hours
- Average class size: 25
- Semester long internship required (SMGT 847 requires 810 hours on the job)
- No thesis
- Required Courses 27 credit hours (credit hours of courses in parentheses)
- SMGT 799: Mentoring & Networking in Sport (1) - currently offered in fall only*
- SMGT 800: Analytics & Decision Making in Sport (3) - currently offered in fall and summer
- SMGT 801: Management in Sport (3) - currently offered in spring and summer
- SMGT 803: Sport Marketing (3) - currently offered in spring and alternating summers
- SMGT 809: Sport Management Technology (2) - currently offered in fall only
- SMGT 810: Sport Leadership & Socialization (3) - currently offered in fall only
- SMGT 812: Ethical & Legal Issues in Sport (3) - currently offered in spring and summer
- SMGT 822: Communication in Sport (3) - currently offered in fall and spring
- SMGT 847: Internship (6) - students can complete their internship in any semester
- Elective Courses: 3 credit hours (students may choose from any of the following 3-credit
- SMGT 511: Selling in the Sport Industry - offered in fall and spring
- SMGT 520: Tournament & Event Management - offered in spring and summer
- SMGT 525: Sport Facility Management - offered in fall and spring
- SMGT 540: Business Analytics in Sport - offered in summer (can be taken in lieu of SMGT 800)
- SMGT 545: Sport Governance & Policy - offered in fall and spring
- SMGT 552: Study Abroad in Global Sport Industry - offered in spring
- SMGT 750D: Sociology of Coaching - offered in spring
- SMGT 750N: Social & Psychological Foundations of Sport - offered in fall
- SMGT 750R: Sport & Film Studies - offered in summer
- SMGT 818: Psychology in Sport - offered in spring
* students MUST enroll in SMGT 799 in their first fall semester in the graduate program
- A completed graduate school application
- Official transcripts with 2.750 GPA (on a 4.0 scale) for cumulative undergraduate coursework
- No GRE/GMAT required (But scores can be submitted if students have them. The GRE score can never hurt an application, only enhance it for those who may have a GPA that is near the mimimum for admission to WSU graduate school: see 'Graduate Admissions Review' example in the button below)
Comprehensive Exam Requirement
Graduate sport management students are required to successfully complete a written comprehensive examination during the semester they intend to graduate.
Deadline to apply for the comprehensive exam:
Fall 2019: October 1, 2019
Spring 2020: March 1, 2020
Summer 2019: June 8, 2020
Students should use the application process available in SMGT 799 and the Sport Management Graduate Student organizational Blackboard shell to apply for the comprehensive exam.
Tips for Graduate Students
Graduate sport management students, please read the "Tips for Students" form for helpful information.