What every biology major needs to know about their academic career at Wichita State
- Course Rotation for Major Level Biology and related science courses. List by semester of courses taught for major level biology and related chemistry
and physics coursework required for biology majors.
- What can I do with a biology degree? Today is the time to explore career options and professional societies for additional
information to be a competitive applicant for post-baccalaureate careers or education.
Look at job listings to determine what current tools are essential. Do not wait till
- Undergraduate Research with biology faculty mentor. You should begin by e-mailing any faculty member who
is researching in your area of interest. The e-mail should introduce yourself, why
you want to do research and a reminder if you have been in class with them before.
Follow up with them if you do not get a response within 2 weeks. Faculty have many
deadlines not related to teaching, but they will respond when they can. Once you have
found a faculty mentor, you must complete an enrollment form to enroll in Biol 499
or Biol 669. Spaces fill quickly, so start the process as early as you can. Posters
about faculty research are located in the hallway near the offices. With appropriate
approval, some Chem 690 or Chem 669 may fulfill this option.
- Other Research Opportunities
- Job Opportunities - Internships, co-op or full-time employment options are below.
- Schedule of Courses AND Semester Calendar Did you know that you can access the WSU custom schedule search in your registration
tools in your myWSU? This is one of the best links to search for classes. Also, the
semester calendar lists all dates and deadlines specific to a semester.
- Graduation--When you complete 90 credit hours, you should complete a senior form. Your senior
form will outline all remaining requirements to be fulfilled. Start by making an
appointment at LAS advising. They will complete the university and college requirements. The form then is completed
by your major academic department, in this case biological sciences. Some minors
must be completed at the department (chemistry minors must be signed off by chemistry).
You must also complete your AFD (application for degree) in your myClasses tab on
your myWSU. All biology majors must complete the MFT (Major Field Test in Biology). Your name is pulled from the AFD list and you will be sent an e-mail mid-semester
with information about scheduling the exam from the biology advisor (exam is 2 hours
and is given in the biology computer lab at no charge). We want to know your working
knowledge of biology when you walk out the door. It is not necessary to study, but
come prepared to do your best on the exam. There is no minimum score at this time,
but you must complete the exam to graduate.
- Commencement--When you graduate, your degree will be conferred. Commencement is the ceremony
for graduates. This occurs prior to your degree being official.
- Student Success Having trouble with notes, test-taking, time management and more. Check out the crew
at student success, awesome team who are here to help you achieve your personal and
- Lab Coordinators If you are repeating a course, you must also repeat the lab (if the lab is zero
- Waitlisting a Course If a class is already closed, get on the waitlist. This is the most effective option to get this class. We monitor biology waitlists
daily and add additional sections when we can.
- Scholarships-Department and LAS-Applications are normally available in November and are due by February of the following
year. Awards are made in early April. Also look here for other awards that may be
- Community College Transfer Guide Check the transfer guide to see how coursework you take at a community college will
fulfill requirements at WSU.
- General Education-courses required for all students to complete a degree (different colleges may have
specific required courses that also fulfill general education—see an advisor for assistance).
- Premedical-Interested in attending dental, medical, optometry, pharmacy, or veterinary school?
Premedical advisors are in LAS Advising.
- Health Professions-Advisors in health professions can provide information on bachelor's, master's and
PhD programs at WSU.
- Masters Degree-master of science program WSU Biological Sciences.