Requirements for Admission
- Completed Dental Hygiene Application. Submitted application fee of $30.00 (within the application) by 1st Friday in November.
- It is strongly recommended to be fully admitted to WSU by the 1st Friday in November, however, you must be fully admitted to WSU no later than the 1st Friday in December.
- If you have applied for admission to WSU in the past but did not take any courses, were not accepted to that year's program, or have not taken WSU courses within the last year, you may need to reapply or reactivate your WSU admission status to be eligible to apply to the DH program this cycle. Schedule an appointment with CHP advising 316-978-3304 (option 2).
- If you have not already submitted your transcripts to WSU, you must send Official transcripts from all other schools attended, including WSU-Tech to email@example.com. All transcripts must be submitted by 1st Friday in November. You will not be considered fully admitted to WSU if all transcripts are not submitted.
- If you are currently taking courses outside of WSU, you are required to submit updated Official transcripts as soon as fall grades are posted.Transcripts should show final fall grades and spring registration. To ensure these are sent on time, please place an advance request with your college registrar's office. It is your responsibility to ensure transcripts have been sent no later than the 1st Friday in January.
- If you are not taking fall courses outside of WSU, but will be taking spring courses outside of WSU, send an unofficial transcript showing registration for spring to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Overall GPA of 2.75 and WSU GPA of 2.00 or higher
- No grade lower than a grade that generates 2.00 credit points per credit hour in any of the specified required courses.
- Prerequisites completed by the end of the spring semester prior to starting the dental hygiene program
- Chemistry, Human Anatomy & Physiology, Microbiology and Nutrition courses should be no more than 10 years old. Pharmacology courses should be no more than 5 years old.
- No more than 6 credit hours of general education or elective courses may be left to complete at the start of the dental hygiene program and must be completed in the summer semester of the program.
- Selected applicants will be invited to and required to attend an on-site interview with program faculty in Middle to late February.
- Applicants must meet Academic and Technical Standards.
- Accepted applicants, at their own expense, must pass a background check prior to beginning the program.
- Although not required for admission, you are required to have a social security number to apply for licensure in the state of Kansas.
- Four clinical observation hours of a Registered Dental Hygienist are required for application. The observation form is located in the Dental Hygiene Application and Instructions drop down section.
Dental Hygiene Application and Instructions
- Complete Dental Hygiene Application (DUE: First Friday in November)
- Applicants will not be able to submit their application if any information or required uploads are missing. If you are receiving an error message, make sure to check that everything needed is correctly filled out, payment fee is submitted and required documents are uploaded.
- It will be helpful to have the following items available when you begin the application:
- A copy of all your college coursework to include in the COURSE FORM
- COURSE FORM completed and ready to upload as a PDF in the application. This form should be completed by you to the best of your ability. Applicants should refer to their transcripts and DegreeWorks audit for form completion.
- OBSERVATION FORM completed and ready to upload as a PDF in the application. Four clinical observation hours of a Registered Dental Hygienist are required.
- Foreign Language Verification - If fluent in Spanish or an Asian language, you will
be asked to provide verification from a foreign language fluency testing service (such
as Language Testing International, http://www.languagetesting.com), a college or unversity international office official, or a collge or university
foreign language faculty member.
- On home page select language for certification (ex. Spanish).
- In the Students/Teachers column, under Programs with ACTFL requirements, select Choose Test.
- Under Get Started search box, check the "I can't find my institution or I'm an independent candidtate" box and then click Continue.
- Scroll to bottom of page and click Continue.
- Click select test under the correct testing option.
- For Spanish you may choose ACTFL OPIc ($108.00 | 20-40 minutes), a virtual test with an avatar or ACTFL OPI ($165.00 | 15-30 minutes), a live, unscripted phone conversation with an ACTFL tester.
- For Asian languages spoken in Vietnam and Cambodia, the only option is OPI ($165.00 | 15-30 minutes), a live, unscripted phone conversation with an ACTFL tester.
- Scroll to bottom and click Continue to Schedule.
- Select "Web-Based Proctoring - Examity, enter your time zone and select the date and time you prefer to take the test.
- Before submitting application, applicants should review the entire application.
- Dental Hygiene applications can be deemed ineligible due to several reasons:
- Student is not admitted to WSU as a degree bound, active, undergraduate student by the 1st Friday in December. See https://www.wichita.edu/admissions for details on admission.
- Official transcripts of all other schools attended not submitted by 1st Friday in November.
- Official fall transcripts showing fall completed grades not submitted by the 1st Friday in January. (WSU transcripts do not need to be submitted).
- Student does not meet minimum GPA, grade or prerequisite requirements.
- Student fails to submit application fee.
- Student fails to upload required documents.
- Student fails to submit completed Dental Hygiene Application.
- If you have not already submitted your transcripts to WSU, you need to send official transcripts of all previous schools, including WSU Tech. (DUE: First Friday in November and must be fully admitted by First Friday in December)
- Apply for admissions to WSU at email@example.com (DUE: First Friday in December)
Application Evaluation Criteria
The following areas are considered in the initial selection process:
- Cumulative GPA
- OBSERVATION FORM (quality of answers, spelling & grammar)
- Cultural diversity and hands-on patient care related work experience
- Previous degree earned and/or Dental Assistant Certification by end of fall semester
of application period.
- The initial selection process determines the top 72 selected for an interview.
- All applicants are notified by e-mail of their interview status by the end of January.
- Following interviews in middle to late February, scores are combined with the initial criteria scores to determine those conditionally accepted into the program and alternates.
- The program does not accept letters of recommendation as part of the application evaluation criteria.
Conditional Acceptance to Program
The top 36 students will receive a letter of conditional acceptance by mail in late March. Those conditionally accepted will be required to:
- Pay a non-refundable $150 tuition deposit to confirm their space in the program, instructions will be provided in the conditional acceptance letter.
- Complete Background Check by determined due date provided in the conditional acceptance letter. Instructions to access and complete a background check are provided in the conditional acceptance letter.
- Submit official transcripts for spring courses taken outside of WSU.
- Meet the following minimum academic requirements (WSU and transfer students):
- Overall GPA of 2.75 or higher
- WSU GPA (if applicable) of 2.00 or higher
- Complete all prerequisite courses with a grade of C or better
- Have no more than 6 credit hours of general education courses or electives left to complete during the dental hygiene program
Failure to meet all the above conditions will result in forfeiture of your admission to the dental hygiene class.
- All information and transcripts received become the property of the Dental Hygiene department and cannot be sent elsewhere or returned.
- A new application is necessary each year a candidate wants to be considered.
- If an applicant rejects or cancels an offered position at any time prior to starting the program, the individual is required to reapply to be considered for admission at a future date.
Attend an Information Session
Learn more about the Dental Hygiene program at Wichita State by attending an information session.
Need additional information?
If you are not a current or prospective undergraduate student at Wichita State, please contact the Dental Hygiene department with questions.
If you are a current undergraduate student at Wichita State, OR if you plan on taking courses at Wichita State, contact the College of Health Professions Student Advising Center with questions about:
- What major is right for you
- How to enroll in prerequisite courses
- Transcript reviews
- Course equivalency
- Application process