Student Application for COVID-19 HEERF III Emergency Grant Aid
Pursuant to the CARES Act, CRRSA, and the American Rescue Plan, Wichita State University has established student emergency funding to assist eligible WSU students with urgent financial need as it relates to a disruption of campus operations due to coronavirus (COVID-19). The intent of this emergency funding is to assist WSU students experiencing a severe temporary hardship. The funds are limited and not intended to provide ongoing relief. Funding is limited and will be awarded to eligible applicants in the order received until exhausted.
The application period for COVID-related emergency aid requests has closed. If students have a COVID-related emergency and need additional funding support, they should schedule an appointment to visit with a financial aid advisor to discuss their situation.
Eligibility and Application Information
- This fund is intended as short-term emergency aid for qualifying students. This is a one-time award for the current academic year. It is not a loan and will not requirement repayment, as long as eligibility requirements are maintained.
- This fund is intended for expenses related to the disruption of campus operations due to COVID-19. These are defined by the U.S. Department of Education as food (groceries), housing (rent & utilities), course materials, technology, health care, and child-care.
- Eligibility is limited to currently enrolled students, who are enrolled at least half-time, in a degree-seeking program at Wichita State for the fall 2021 semester. The aid award amount will depend on the number of applicants, availability of funds, and details and supporting documentation provided with the request/application. Only students with exceptional need and COVID-related hardships will be considered.
- (NOW CLOSED) Priority Deadline: October 1, 2021 at 5 p.m. CDT. Eligible applications will be awarded in the order received until funds are exhausted.
- Please allow up to 3 weeks for review and processing of your application.
- If approved, funds will be processed through student accounts and will transferred via direct deposit or, if the student does not have banking information on file, via paper check (which will be mailed to the student). Funds will NOT be paid directly toward the student account balance (such as tuition, fees, and housing charges). If students would like use the funds to pay a balance, they will need to make their own arrangements to make a payment toward their student account.
Financial Difficulties/Changes Due to COVID-19: If your family is experiencing financial issues (such as the loss of a job, reduction of income, or other extenuating circumstance), related specifically to the impact of the pandemic or otherwise, and would like to discuss emergency financial aid options and/or information about the process of a Professional Judgment for the 2021–2022 academic year, schedule an appointment to meet with a financial aid advisor at wichita.edu/finaidappt.