What is VUB?
Veterans Upward Bound (VUB) is a federally funded program designed to help qualified Veterans prepare to enroll in a postsecondary school (university, community college, and vocational/technical programs). VUB provides skills and advice to enable Veterans to achieve their academic goals.

Does the VUB program at Wichita State University only help those that want to attend WSU?
Definitely not! We will help any qualified Veteran regardless of which school he/she plans to attend. We will help the Veteran choose the best program and school to fit his/her individual needs.

What must I do to qualify for VUB?
To benefit from our FREE educational services you must first meet a few simple eligibility requirements:

  • All participants must have at least 180 days of active service with better than a dishonorable discharge.

  • All participants must be either low-income (based on your adjusted gross income and number of dependents in your household) or a first-generation college student (neither parent earned a 4-year degree).

  • All participants must demonstrate academic potential as well as have academic need. Not all students have the same needs. Some students require developmental coursework, while others need more help in cutting through university red tape.

If you are not sure if you qualify give us a call, we’d be glad to explain the eligibility requirements in further detail.

What will VUB do for me?
When you begin the VUB program you will work one-on-one with an academic advisor to discuss your interests and your short-term and long-term goals. Academic assessments are completed to determine your strengths and weaknesses. A plan is then developed to help you reach your goals. Any academic weaknesses can be strengthened by working independently on our computer tutoring programs or one-on-one tutoring. Finally, we will assist you with school applications and the financial aid process. We also give referrals to other agencies providing services to Veterans.

How long should I plan on being in VUB before I am ready to go on to a postsecondary school?
The answer to this question depends on several factors, including your high school preparedness, your VUB assessment test scores, and your internal drive to succeed. Do not shortchange yourself by planning to be in VUB for just a few weeks. While some students may only require minimal work, others will want to receive services for a longer period of time. The staff can advise you as to how long you might want to spend in our classes. The staff will also advise you of when you are ready to move on to your chosen school.

Does VUB provide financial aid?
No. Although all services are FREE to qualified students, we do not provide financial aid for college, university, or technical school. We can, however, help you with the financial aid application process, and put you in contact with the appropriate financial aid officials at your prospective school.

Can VUB help me find a job?
No. However, we do offer career counseling and resume development along with providing online resources.

Can VUB help me choose a career or school?
Yes. Using a variety of career interest inventories, our academic advisors will work with you to help you determine what career field might be appropriate for you. We can also help you determine which school will best prepare you for your chosen field.

I'm already in college or vo/tech school, am I still eligible to participate in VUB?
Maybe. Our services are focused on getting participants ready to enter school, so they may not be appropriate for those already enrolled. Some schools, including WSU, have another TRIO program, Student Support Services, which specifically serves students already enrolled. Our program does provide services to individuals who have college credit, but are not currently enrolled.

How is VUB funded?
VUB is a part of a group of programs called TRIO programs. These programs are funded by the U.S. Department of Education and serve low-income and first generation college students of varying ages. VUB is just one such program funded by the U.S. Department of Education. Other TRIO programs at Wichita State University include:

I have a question not answered on this page. What should I do?
Feel free to call us with any questions that you might have about VUB. We can be reached at (316) 978-6742.