For an emergency response or if you just have a concern about a person or situation please contact the University Police Department at 9-1-1 (campus phone) or 316-978-3450 (cell phone)
When an armed hostile person(s) is actively causing death or serious physical injury or the threat of imminent death or serious physical injury to person(s) on the campus, we recommend the following procedures be implemented:
AVOID – DENY – DEFEND
AVOID starts with your state of mind
- Pay attention to your surroundings.
- Have an exit plan.
- Move away from the source of the threat as quickly as possible.
- The more distance and barriers between you and the threat, the better.
DENY when getting away is difficult or maybe impossible
- Keep distance between you and the source.
- Create barriers to prevent or slow down a threat from getting to you.
- Turn the lights off.
- Remain out of sight and quiet by hiding behind large objects and silence your phone.
DEFEND because you have the right to protect yourself
- If you cannot Avoid or Deny be prepared to defend yourself.
- Be aggressive and committed to your actions.
- Do not fight fairly. THIS IS ABOUT SURVIVAL.