Information for Faculty & Staff Participating in the Ceremony
Faculty & Staff are encouraged to participate in the commencement ceremonies and march in the processional to show support and encouragement to their graduated. Faculty & Staff that plan to participate in the ceremony should notify their college commencement representative 2 weeks prior to the ceremony. If you are unsure of who your commencement representative is please contact your Dean's office.
Day of the Ceremony
Faculty & Staff participating in the ceremony are asked to arrive 45 minutes prior to the ceremony start time to check-in. Check-in instructions and location will be communicated by the college representative. Faculty & staff that wish to come earlier are welcome to do so. Food and drink is available in the Champion's club for faculty & staff that arrive early.
Colleges provide the Commencement Office with the list of participating faculty. Based upon the information provided, the commencement office mails parking hangtags through campus mail the week prior to commencement.
Non-Regalia Faculty & Staff
For Faculty & Staff that wish to attend commencement but not participate in the ceremony with regalia, the commencement office reserves non-regalia seating for faculty & staff in section 110, Rows 1 & 2. Please note that seating in these rows is first come first serve.
Special parking will be set aside for faculty & staff. A parking map and hangtag will be mailed to faculty through campus mail the week prior to the ceremony. Faculty members that don't receive a hangtag and map can stop by the Hughes Metropolitan Complex, Door C, Room 120 to pick up hangtags and maps during business hours. Faculty are welcome to congregate in the Champion's Club until it is time to line up for the ceremony. Faculty typically line up in the Media Room, which is a downstairs room that may be accessed from the elevator (across from section 102) or the stairs, which are located across from section 118-119.
For faculty needing regalia to wear, the Shocker Store will order rental regalia or help you purchase your own set. The deadline to order regalia through the Shocker Store for the Fall ceremony is typically mid October. The deadline to order regalia through the Shocker Store for the Spring ceremony is typically in mid March, however faculty are encouraged to place their orders prior to this. Rush delivery charges may be applied to regalia orders that are placed after the deadline.
For other pricing or to order, please contact Julie Hejtmanek at 978-7021 or between 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m., Monday - Friday.
Faculty wishing to volunteer as commencement staff, please fill out the volunteer form.
Wichita State University will be using metal detectors at Commencement. Please be advised that all ceremonies will start as scheduled. In order to ensure that you can participate in the ceremony please allow adequate time to go through screening. In December, doors open at 1 p.m., May, doors will open at 7 a.m. and be open throughout the day.
Bags and Backpacks
All bags are subject to search. Bags larger than 14' x 14' x 6' are not allowed. Diaper bags and medical bags are permitted. All backpacks, including those used as diaper bags are not permitted regardless of size.
Please observe the following restrictions for all Commencement Activities on the Wichita State University Campus.
- All bags, back packs, purses or other items will be opened prior to entry
- No firearms, knives, explosives or other weapons
- No artificial noise makers, air horns or megaphones may be used
- No poles, banners, large signs, flags or laser pointers, or incendiary devices
- No promotional items with commercial slogans or identification
- No outside food or drinks are allowed inside Koch Arena. Absolutely no alcohol or illegal drugs are allowed
- No strollers, tripods, or balloons are allowed into seated areas of Koch Arena. Guests attempting to take these items into the arena will be required to remove them. A Personal Items Check-In area for these items will be provided for your convenience near the South entrance
- Other items are subject to search at the discretion of Wichita State University
- All Commencement venues reserve the right to prohibit any items at the discretion of Commencement Officials.
- These policies are subject to change without notice