Information for Commencement Staff
SIGN UP TO ASSIST
The first step to becoming part of the WSU Commencement Staff team is signing up. We have commencement ceremonies twice a year with three ceremonies held in spring over the course of one day and one held in fall. When you fill out this form, you will be signing up to assist in one of those ceremonies. Throughout the semester you will receive information regarding the upcoming ceremony along with updates and information on the events. Participation is voluntary; you will be fed well and enjoy a great time with a fun group of people as you welcome thousands of guests and graduates to this memorable event. You should check with student organizations you are a member of or your department to see if there are even more benefits to your participation.
Please note that non-exempt employees who have prior approval from their supervisor to assist with commencement, are eligible for overtime pay and must be compensated for their extra time worked. Should you have questions, call Sarah Hunter at extension 6124 or Judy Espinoza at extension 3540.
There are two levels of roles available with commencement. All staff at commencement are the face of Wichita State University. Many of the individuals filing through the doors and walking the corridors of Charles Koch Arena at commencement time have never been to WSU before and may have traveled many miles to get here, so commencement staff are there to welcome them to the university. Many of the guests at WSU commencement ceremonies are not familiar with WSU or the arena and the commencement staff team is there to ensure that they feel welcomed and able to find what they need.
Guest Relations Staff
A few things that the guest relations staff assist with include:
- Greet all who enter the building;
- Provide programs to each interested adult, extra programs may be picked up after the ceremony if they are requested;
- Watch for strollers, tripods, balloon bouquets and other items too large to be allowed in the arena and assist guests in checking them in at the Personal Items Check In station;
- Help provide a safe environment by keeping alert to the activities and people around them.
Ceremony Logistic Staff
Ceremony logistic staff often play a critical role in the execution of the ceremonies. These individuals often have responsibility for an area listed below and are often the communication link with the planners, University PD, EMS, etc.
- Ensure correct student line-up in the gym;
- Checking faculty in;
- Setting up the Floor and Stage;
- Staffing Personal Items Check-in;
- and more
Individuals that serve in a Ceremony Logistic Staff role are asked to work all ceremonies and are required to attend additional training.
WHERE TO GO AND WHAT TO WEAR
- There will be special parking for commencement volunteers. You will receive information along with a hang tag on where to park prior to commencement.
- The staff entrance to Koch arena is located on the east side of the building, there will be signs posted.
- The Champion's Club is where staff members check in and out before and after ceremonies. They will receive their vest and name tag and be given their assignment at check in.
- Guest relations staff members should wear black slacks or skirts, comfortable black shoes and a white shirt. Ceremony logistic staff members are asked to wear black slacks and a yellow shirt.
If you have not assisted with commencement before, you are asked to attend one of two training times. The training times are Tuesday, May 14, 2019, 10:30-11:30 a.m. and Wednesday, May, 15, 2019, 4:00-5:00 p.m.