Wichita State University will be using metal detectors at Commencement.
Commencement will be implementing a clear bag policy for all graduates, guests, volunteers, faculty and staff.
Clear Bag Policy
Commencement will be implementing a clear bag policy which will speed up the entry process into the venue, improve security and limit
touch points. Clear bags allow staff to check for prohibited items without having
to touch or open a bag. This will also prevent staff from having to touch personal
items of guest.
The following outlines bags that are permitted:
- Bags that are clear plastic, vinyl or PVC and do not exceed 14" x 6" x 14";
- One-gallon clear plastic storage bags (Ziploc bag or similar); and
- Small clutch or purse, with or without a handle or strap, that do not exceed 5.5" x 7.5" (approximately the size of a hand).
- An exception will be made for medically necessary bags or equipment after proper inspection and have been tagged by security. For questions about medical equipment or other needs please contact the Athletics Operations office at 316-978-7591.
Prohibited bags include, but are not limited to:
• Purses larger than a clutch bag
• Backpacks of any size
• Drawstring bags
• Fanny packs
• Luggage of any kind
• Computer bags/cases
• Camera bags/cases
• Diaper bags
• Duffle bags
• Binocular bags/cases or any bag larger than the permissible size
This policy pertains to bags and is not an all-inclusive list of items that are prohibited from being taken into the venue.
Please observe the following restrictions for all Commencement Activities on the Wichita State University Campus. The following items are prohibited from entering Koch Arena:
- Drugs and alcohol
- Outside food and drink
- Weapons – firearms, knives, razorblades, pepper spray, tasers, brass knuckles, cat keys, etc.
- Noisemakers – air horns, bells, megaphones, whistles, etc.
- Balloons, poles, banners, large signs, flags, laser pointers, or incendiary devices
- Strollers, car seats
- Flash/professional photography, detachable lenses, monopods, tripods
- Selfie sticks
- Live animals (except guide and service dogs)
- Large/Golf umbrellas (non-retractable)
- Seat Cushions larger than 14” x 14” x 6”
- Computers and tablets larger than 14” x 14” x 6”
Anyone attempting to take these items into the arena will be required to dispose of the item or return it to their vehicle.
All items are subject to search at the discretion of Wichita State University. All Commencement venues reserve the right to prohibit any items at the discretion of Commencement Officials.
These policies are subject to change without notice.
Personal Items Check
There will be NO personal items check. All items should be left at home or kept in a car. If an item is revealed during a search, patron may dispose of the item or return it to their vehicle. Wichita State staff reserves the right to prohibit any items they deem inappropriate.