Information for Guests
TRAVEL AND LODGING
The Wichita Mid-Continent Airport is the closest commercial airport to WSU. All necessary hotel accommodations for out-of-town guests should be made early to guarantee reservations. For current information about accommodations in the area, see Wichita Convention and Visitors Bureau web site.
All seating in Koch Arena is first come first serve. Tickets are not required to attend the ceremonies. A map of the seating area in Koch is available.
SERVICES/ACCESS FOR DISABLED GUESTS
Charles Koch Arena is handicap accessible and has reserved parking and seating for individuals with special needs. Guests in wheelchairs or those needing additional time to move through the building will want to arrive in sufficient time to avoid heavy crowds along the concourse. Commencement Staff will assist you in finding the handicapped seating area.
There will be sign language interpreters available at appropriate areas for those with hearing impairments and seating with minimal stair requirements available for individuals with limited climbing abilities. In addition the ceremony is now closed captioned on the Jumbotron.
Graduates should inform their college office of any special needs they have so proper arrangements can be made for them to cross the stage and participate in the processional and recessional.
Guests are asked to help maintain the dignity of this ceremony. We understand your enthusiasm for graduates, but guests must refrain from loud, disruptive cheering and use of any noise-making devices.
Wichita State University will be using metal detectors at Commencement. Please be advised that all ceremonies will start as scheduled. In order to ensure that family and guests are able to observe the full ceremony please allow adequate time to go through screening. In May, doors will open at 7 a.m. and be open throughout the day.
Bags and Backpacks
All bags are subject to search. Bags larger than 14' x 14' x 6' are not allowed. Diaper bags and medical bags are permitted. All backpacks, including those used as diaper bags are not permitted regardless of size.
Please observe the following restrictions for all Commencement Activities on the Wichita State University Campus.
- All bags, back packs, purses or other items will be opened prior to entry
- No firearms, knives, explosives or other weapons
- No artificial noise makers, air horns or megaphones may be used
- No poles, banners, large signs, flags or laser pointers, or incendiary devices.
- No promotional items with commercial slogans or identification
- No outside food or drinks are allowed inside Koch Arena. Absolutely no alcohol or illegal drugs are allowed.
- No strollers, tripods, or balloons are allowed into seated areas of Koch Arena. Guests attempting to take these items into the arena will be required to remove them. A Personal Items Check-In area for these items will be provided for your convenience near the South entrance.
- Other items are subject to search at the discretion of Wichita State University.
- All Commencement venues reserve the right to prohibit any items at the discretion of Commencement Officials.
- These policies are subject to change without notice
Professional photographers will be on site taking photos during the commencement ceremony. Photograph proofs and rate sheets will be emailed to the graduates a few weeks after the event. If you wish to order your photographs over the phone please call Grad Images at 1-800-261-2576, or you can visit their website at www.gradimages.com.
Personal cameras and camcorders are allowed during Commencement, however guests will not be allowed on the floor where the graduates are seated. In addition, due to limited space tripods for cameras and camcorders are not allowed in the arena.
Guest and graduate parking at commencement is not reserved. Since there is a limited amount of parking spaces available carpooling is encouraged. Parking information and a map of parking lots near Koch Arena can be found on the website. As commencement occurs on a weekend, please note that a visitor permit is not required. Individuals can park in either the green or yellow lots.
Live webcasting of WSU commencement ceremonies are broadcast at the time of the event. To watch the ceremony live, click on "live commencement streaming" on the left hand side of the commencement webpage.