Masters of Arts in Teaching Early Childhood Unified Residency Program
The WSU MAT-ECU program reflects what is currently known about best practices in early childhood teacher preparation. With an emphasis on urban schools, the program prepares teaching residents to meet the needs of children with and without disabilities in varied settings. The MAT-ECU teacher residency program was developed using a PDS philosophy that centers on shared responsibility for teacher preparation between universities and schools as well as a shared responsibility for students learning. It involves students working in classrooms as paraprofessionals while working on their graduate degree and initial licensure.
The program is limited to individuals who have:
- Completed at least a BA/BS degree from an accredited higher education institution prior to entry into the program.
- A GPA of 3.0 in the last sixty hours of graded coursework (or 2.75 to be admitted on probationary status).
Program of Study
The MAT ECU-Residency is offered for students seeking initial KSDE licensure in early childhood unified: birth through third grade.
- CESP 729 Theories of Growth and Development (3)
- CI 603 Foundations of Early Childhood Unified (2)
- CI 614 ECU Assessment and Methods: Infants, Toddlers, and Families (3)
- CI 617 ECU Assessment and Methods: Preschool (3)
- CI 704 Assessment and Methods: Kindergarten through Grade 1 (3)
- CI 711 Multicultural Education (3)
- CI 733 Assessment and Methods: Grades 2 and 3 (3)
- CI 743 Internship I (1)
- CI 744 Internship II (1)
- CI 748 Internship III (1)
- CI 749 Internship IV (1)
- CI 796 Family and Professional Collaboration (3)
- CI 849 Practices and Trends in Action Research (2)
- CLES 801 Introducation to Educational Research (3)
- CI 860 Seminar in Research Problems (2)
Select one of the following combinations (2)
- CI 862 Evidence Based Inquiry: Professional Research Preparation & CI 863 Professional Research Presentation
- CI 875 Master's Thesis & CI 876 Master's Thesis
Total Hours 36
We would be happy to answer your questions.
** Please note that full admission to the WSU MAT Early Childhood Unified Residency program is not given until all prerequisites have been met and candidates are employed.