Masters of Arts in Teaching Early Childhood Unified Residency Program
The WSU MAT-ECU program reflects what is currently known about best practices in early childhood teacher preparation. With an emphasis on urban schools, the program prepares teaching residents to meet the needs of children with and without disabilities in varied settings. The MAT-ECU teacher residency program was developed using a PDS philosophy that centers on shared responsibility for teacher preparation between universities and schools as well as a shared responsibility for students learning. It involves students working in classrooms as paraprofessionals while working on their graduate degree and initial licensure.
The program is limited to individuals who have:
- Completed at least a BA/BS degree from an accredited higher education institution prior to entry into the program.
- A GPA of 3.0 in the last sixty hours of graded coursework (or 2.75 to be admitted on probationary status).
Program of Study
The MAT ECU-Residency is offered for students seeking initial KSDE licensure in early childhood unified: birth through third grade.
- CESP 729 Theories of Growth and Development (3)
- CI 603 Foundations of ECU (2)
- CI 614 Assessments and Methods: Infants, Toddlers, and Families (3)
- CI 617 Assessment and Methods: Birth through Preschool (3)
- CI 701 Foundations of Education (2)
- CI 704 Assessment and Methods: Kindergarten through Grade 1 (3)
- CI 733 Assessment and Methods: Grades 2 and 3 (4)
- CI 711 Multicultural Education (3)
- CI 743 Internship 1 (1)
- CI 744 Internship 2 (1)
- CI 748 Internship 3 (1)
- CI 749 Internship 4 (1)
- CI 849 Practices and Trends in Action Research (2)
- CI 860 Seminar in Research Problems (2)
- CI 862 Professional Research Preparation (1)
- CI 863 Professional Research Presentation (1)
- CLES 801 Introduction to Educational Research (3)
36 total hours
We would be happy to answer your questions.
** Please note that full admission to the WSU MAT Early Childhood Unified Residency program is not given until all prerequisites have been met and candidates are employed.