The teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) program seeks to facilitate the candidate's acquisition of knowledge, skills, and dispositions to effectively teach and work with speakers of other languages.
- Admission to the Graduate School as a non-degree bound Category A student
- Initial, valid license in teaching in the state of Kansas
To obtain an ESOL endorsement through an approved program, the Kansas Department of Education (KSDE) requires:
- 15 hours of ESOL coursework, including a practicum, and
- passing score on the PRAXIS English to Speakers of Other Languages exam (5362)
- an initial Kansas teaching license
Steps for Obtaining an ESOL Endorsement
- Complete the approved endorsement program.
- Achieve a passing score of 149 on the Praxis English to Speakers of Other Languages exam--test code 5362. Register for the exam at www.ets.org/praxis
- Apply for an "Adding Endorsement by Program Completion" - this is KSDE Form 1 (for either PreK-6 or 6-12). Upon submission, it will go to the College's Licensure Officer for final completion and submission to KSDE. Allow 4-6 weeks for processing the application.
- Must hold an initial teaching license for the state of Kansas
Contact an Advisor
We would be happy to answer any questions you might have.
|CI 774 Foundations of ESOL: An Assets-Based Approach (1st 8 weeks)
CI 775 Linguistics Concepts and the Language-Rich Classroom (2nd 8 weeks)
CI 776 Research on Second Language Learning: Application to the PreK-12 Classroom (1st 8 weeks)
CI 777 Planning, Assessment, and Evaluation of Emergent Bilinguals With and Without Exceptionalities (2nd 8 weeks)
|CI 747 Applied Learning Experience for ESOL Practitioners
Generally, candidates complete one course at a time before moving onto the next course in the sequence. Most will be able to complete coursework in one year with the option to extend the program as needed. Candidates are strongly encouraged to consult the advisor for the program to develop a Plan of Study as well as develop their applied learning experience.