Graduate School Awards & Grants
Students must be nominated by a graduate faculty member to be considered for the awards
listed below. Nominations are now being accepted for Fall 2018. Nomination deadline was April 2, 2018 - Nominations are no longer being accepted for
Please be aware that these awards are only available for students who will not graduate until Fall 2018 or later. Spring and Summer 2018 graduates are not eligible for consideration.
Awards Open for Nomination for Fall 2018:
Tilford Fellowship: To be eligible, a student must be admitted to a graduate degree program in good standing, be enrolled full-time, and demonstrate financial need. Preference is given to minority students who are U.S. citizens. Typical award is for $700.
Delano Maggard Jr, Research Grant: To be eligible, a student must be admitted to a graduate degree program in good standing, be enrolled either full-time or part-time, have completed nine graduate credit hours, and demonstrate financial need. This award entails the following additional criteria: (1) student must submit a budget for the research project and (2) if the proposed research involves human or animal subjects, a copy of the approval from the WSU institutional Review Board or Animal Care and Use committee should be included. Typical award is for $500 - $1,000.
Dora Wallace Hodgson Outstanding Graduate Student Award (Masters and Doctoral/PhD): To be eligible, a student must be admitted to a graduate degree program and in good standing. Typical award is for $1000.
Award Nomination Instructions:
- Identify nominee(s). Only one student per program per award may be nominated - program faculty must work together to determine who should be nominated.
- Write a letter of support for the nominee.
- Request the following from the student being nominated:
a. Current resume/curriculum vitae
b. Student statement
c. If nominating student for the Delano Maggard, Jr. award, the student will also need
to provide a budget for the research project and, if the proposed research involves
human or animal subjects, a copy of the approval from the WSU Institutional Review
Board or Animal Care and Use committee must also be provided.
- Convert all documents to be submitted to PDF in order for them to be uploaded.
- Fill out and submit the online nomination form (link deactivated - deadline has passed)
- After submitting the online form, will be redirected to the Upload Instructions page. Follow the instructions to name and upload the documents to Dropbox.
- Reminder - only complete nomination packets will be accepted and considered for review.
Winners of the Annual Student Awards will be recognized at the GRASP Symposium in
the spring semester of the following year. Please visit the Wichita State University Foundation webpage for biographies of the men and women behind WSU's Scholarships and Fellowships.
In addition to the above awards, the Graduate School distributes the following awards based on financial need and other considerations:
- Dr. Laiten L. & Verna Nye Camien Fellowship
- E.L. Cord Foundation Graduate Fellowship
- Ollie A. & J.O. Heskett Graduate Fellowship
- Donald D. Sbarra Endowed Fellowship
- Lawrence & Pauline Stettheimer Endowed Fellowship
Educational Opportunity Fund Fall/Spring Application: To be eligible, a student must be admitted to a graduate degree program in good standing, be enrolled part-time (3 to 6 graduate hours). Demonstrate financial need, and cannot hold paid employment at WSU. Awards are available for up to $700. Deadline is the last Monday in June for Fall awards, and the last Monday in October for Spring awards.
For more information regarding any Graduate Awards contact the
Graduate School at 978-3095.
No recipient will be excluded from consideration based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, marital status, status as a veteran or disability.