Frequently Asked Questions

Application and Admissions

When can I start school?

Students in an on-campus or online program will follow the layout of the academic calendar. It is divided into three semesters. Fall and spring are 16 weeks long and summer semester are 8 weeks long. Please allow yourself plenty of time to prepare and submit your application materials with your intended semester start date in mind.

 WSU Academic Calendar

Admission Process

How do I check my admission status?

Follow the steps listed in our OneStop page to find out your admission status.


Can I check transfer equivalency?

Yes, you can check to see if the credits your earn at Wichita State will equivalently transfer back to the institution you are attending. Select the link below and follow the directions.

Wichita State University Transfer Equivalency

How do I transfer my credits to WSU?

Wichita State University requires official transcripts from all accredited colleges/universities you have attended to be sent to the University. We must have your complete academic record even if you withdrew from your classes at the previous college. Failure to provide all transcripts will prevent you from graduating, stop you from enrolling in classes, and make you ineligible for federal, state, or institutional financial aid/scholarships.

New or Transfer students, please mail official transcript(s) to:
Office of Admissions
Wichita State University
1845 Fairmount
Wichita, KS 67260-0124
(316) 978-3085
Former or Current students, please mail official transcript(s) to:
Office of the Registrar
Wichita State University
1845 Fairmount
Wichita, KS 67260-0058
(316) 978-3055
Graduate students, please mail official transcript(s) to:
Graduate School
Wichita State University
1845 Fairmount
Wichita, KS 67260-0004
(316) 978-3095


 Transcript Procedures

Do I need to reapply to WSU if I previously attended here?

People last enrolled at WSU more than two years ago must have their status reactivated with the Office of the Registrar. Please follow the steps listed on the reactivation page. Once you have completed the reactivation process, please notify your advisor

If you have an overdue balance at WSU, you will need pay your balance before you can register for courses. Please contact, Accounts Receivable.


Adult Learner

Who is considered an adult learner?

At Wichita State University, the official university definition is the following:

Students who were admitted as a returning adult (>= 24 years of age with or without transfer hours) and have enrollment as a degree-bound undergraduate or who have returned to enrollment as a degree-bound undergraduate after at least 2 years of non-enrollment and are >= 24 years of age are defined as returning adult students. International students are excluded.

I work full-time and have children. Can I still get my degree?

Yes! Many of our online and adult learners take classes in the evening and /or take classes online. You can be a part-time or full-time student depending on your schedule.

Will I be the oldest person in my class?

Maybe, but maybe not. Approximately 20% of WSU’s undergraduate population is made up of adult learners. You certainly won’t be the only adult learner at WSU! The oldest student to earn their bachelor's degree at Wichita State was 93 years old when he graduated!

What types of support services do you offer for adult learners?
  • A place to connect with other adult learners
  • A quiet and relaxing lounge to study and recharge
  • A resource room with computers and study space
  • Free coffee and printing
  • Help navigate WSU
  • Designated parking for appointments
  • Osher Scholarship program
  • Mentoring program

Online Learner

Who is considered an online student?

If a student is registered in a fully online program with an online major code, they are classified as an online student. However, students who take both on-campus and online courses are not categorized as online students.

How can I find courses offered online?

Use the Online Course Search Tool to view online courses.
1. Select the semester from the drop-down menu and click submit.
2. Apply filters, the screen will automatically populate.

Online Course Search Tool

Can I take online courses as an out-of-state student?

Yes, if you reside in a state where WSU has authorization to provide distance education. If you choose to enroll in a fully online program, you will receive the in-state online tuition rate.

State Authorization requirements

Can international students complete an online degree?

Because courses are fully online, international students requiring an F-1 visa are not eligible for online programs. F-1 students are allowed to generally take one online course per semester.

International students who are studying outside the United States need to talk to an online advisor about their plan of study prior to starting an online program.

If you are a student transferring credits from an international school, you will need to work closely with the Office of International Education regarding the admissions process and transcript evaluations.

International Student Info

I recently graduated from high school, can I be in an online program?

Recent high school seniors have the following online program options:

  • Associates of Arts
  • Criminal Justice
  • Homeland security
  • Business

Explore Online Options

How are exams proctored?

Exam proctoring requirements really depend on the individual instructor for your classes.  Some instructors (especially in Business and Nursing) require proctored exams, which can be scheduled at a local approved proctored testing center, or taken online.

Options for Proctored Exams

How do I check if I need to take a placement exam?

You can verify if you need to take the Math or English placement exam by reviewing the requirements listed in the link below.

Placement Exams

How does a second bachelor's degree work online?

Students who previously received a degree from a regionally accredited institution will not have to complete general education requirements. Students may receive a second bachelor’s degree from Wichita State University upon completion of a minimum of 30 credit hours in residence, provided that none of the 30 WSU credit hours is counted in the first degree and provided that all Wichita State, college and departmental graduation requirements are met. Details of requirements will be included in the student’s individualized plan of study that they create with their academic advisor. Students must comply with the policies regarding duplicate use of coursework outlined in the section on double majors.


If the student completed their first bachelor’s degree at WSU, the student will need to reactivate their account rather than reapply to the university.

 Reactivation Process

What does regionally accredited mean?

The United States Department of Education and the Council of Higher Education Accreditation recognizes seven regional accrediting agencies. Accreditation is a process used by higher education to evaluate colleges, universities, and educational programs for quality and to assess their effort towards continues improvement. Wichita State University is a regionally accredited institution by the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools. To view WSU Accreditation please visit the webpage for the Office of Academic Affairs. Use the links below to search if the school you attended is regionally accredited.


The Higher Learning Commission
Middle States Commission on Higher Education
New England Association of Schools and Colleges
Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities
Southern Association of Colleges and Schools - Commission on Colleges
Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges/Western Association of Schools and Colleges
Western Association Senior College and University Commission

Newly Enrolled

What do I do after I have been admitted?

To access your academic information at Wichita State, you'll need to create a password for the myWSU Portal using your new WSU ID. Follow the instructions provided for a seamless login experience. Additionally, we have a dedicated webpage for new Shocker students that offers helpful content.

Newly Enrolled Guide

How do I apply for financial aid and scholarships?

When it comes to paying for your Wichita State education, you have options—and the Office of Financial Aid is here to help.

Financial Aid & Scholarships

How do I set up a payment plan?

You can set up a payment plan through your Student Account Suite by logging into myWSU Portal and selecting the finance tab.

Learn more

What is New Shocker Orientation?

WSU requires undergraduate Orientation for domestic incoming freshmen, transfer students, and returning or transferring adult learners. New Shocker Orientation is the last step of your transition into a full-fledged member of Shocker Nation and one that's directly connected to student success.

Learn more

How does orientation work for online learners?

 Students who are enrolled in a fully online program will be required to complete orientation virtually through the Blackboard learning platform.

Learn more