Summer 2018 Enrollment Status Q & A

For Summer Financial Aid Requirements & Conditions, click here.

What are the different enrollment status levels?

Enrollment Status for Domestic Undergraduate (UG) Students Fall/Spring/Summer
Full-Time 12 or more credit hours
Three Quarter-Time 9 to 11 credit hours
Half-Time 6 to 8 credit hours
Less-Than-Half-Time Less than 6 credit hours

Why is this change being made?

In the past, the enrollment levels that define full-time enrollment in the Summer have been different from that of Fall and Spring. Although this difference is fine at the graduate level, it creates some limitations for undergraduate students. For undergraduate students who are federal aid recipients, the greatest advantage for aid eligibility occurs when full-time enrollment is defined for each term in the award year as at least 12 credit-hours. After much review and consultation with experts in the aid community and the Department of Education, we have determined it is in the best interest of Wichita State and our students to change to our full-time definition effective Summer 2018.

How will this change affect me if I receive Federal Student Aid through the FAFSA?

This change could affect you in several ways, depending on the type of financial aid you receive. In most cases, you will have to be enrolled in at least six hours to receive any additional Pell Grant funds funding or Direct Subsidized/Unsubsidized Loans.

What if I was not enrolled full-time in the Fall and/or the Spring semesters?
If you were not enrolled full-time during the regular academic year and you are Pell-eligible, then you may be able to receive a Pell Grant during the Summer even if you are enrolled in less than six hours. The Office of Financial Aid will make that determination automatically, even if you do not submit a Summer Aid Application. However, in all cases you must be enrolled at least half-time to receive Federal loans.

How do I apply for Summer Aid?
You must first enroll in Summer classes. After enrolling, you will be able to access the Summer Aid Application via your myWSU, myFinances portal.

Can I get a Direct Subsidized or Unsubsidized Loan?
Yes, you can receive a Federal loan if you have remaining loan eligibility for the academic year based on grade level and are enrolled in at least half-time hours (six or more hours). You may also have additional eligibility based on advancing to a sophomore or junior grade level.

Can my parents still borrow a Parent PLUS Loan in the Summer?
Yes, your parents may borrow a Parent PLUS Loan if they apply, are approved, and accept the loan, but you still must be enrolled in at least half-time hours (six or more hours).

Can I still receive Federal Work Study?
Summer Federal Work Study does not require at least half-time enrollment, so if you are planning to continue to work your Federal Work Study job through the Summer you should contact your supervisor for confirmation of summer employment.

Should I do a Summer Aid Application even if I do not think I will qualify for anything?
Yes, if you have a 2017-2018 FAFSA on file you should always submit a Summer Aid Application. All students who submit an application will be assessed to see if any aid eligibility remains for the aid year. If you do not have a 2017-2018 FAFSA on file but are interested in Summer Aid, you should first complete your FAFSA, enroll, and then submit the Summer Aid Application.

What other aid is available if I enroll in less than six hours?
In some cases, if you are Pell-eligible then you may still be able to receive Pell in the Summer without being in six hours, but the Office of Financial Aid will have to make that determination.

In an effort to assist students during this transition summer, there are limited scholarship funds for domestic undergraduate students in good academic standing who have at least a minimum 2.5 overall GPA and who demonstrate financial need via the FAFSA. Summer scholarships are based on available funding so students should enroll and submit a Summer Aid Application as soon as possible, but no later than May 1, to receive consideration for available scholarship funding.

You may also set up a payment plan with the Accounts Receivable office. Although we encourage you to explore non-loan options first, you may also apply for a private student loan, but you will need to confirm that the lender will provide a loan for less than half-time enrollment.