Some departments and colleges within Wichita State University offer the opportunity to receive honors recognition for excellence in the major. You may apply to these tracks as a Cohen Honors student, though it is not necessary to be a member of the Cohen Honors College to receive honors certification through your department. Each department/major determines its own departmental honors track within the guidelines determined by the Honors College council.
Departmental Honors tracks must consist of:
- 12 credit hours of academic work
- A senior thesis, project, recital or equivalent experience
Students must have a minimum GPA of 3.5 in departmental honors work to receive the departmental honors designation on their diploma and transcript.
The following departments currently offer honors tracks:
- Aerospace Engineering
- Communication Sciences and Disorders
- Modern and Classical Languages and Literatures
- Mathematics and Physics - earn a BS in Physics with honors
- Political Science
Many Honors courses fulfill Wichita State’s general education requirements. Internships and Cooperative Education can be taken for Honors credits.