Approved August 2018
Article I. Name and Object
The name of this organization shall be Women of Wichita State University (“WWSU”). This organization was formed by merging the two organizations: Council of University Women (“CUW”) and Wichita State University Womens Association (“WSUWA”). The purpose shall be to serve the interests of the university, to provide student scholarships (through the WSU Dames, CUW and future WWSU scholarships), and to promote social interaction and a sense of community among its members.
Article II. Membership
Section 1. The membership shall consist of all faculty wives and all WSU employees (including all WSU Affiliated or Auxiliary Corporations) classified, unclassified and faculty female staff who pay annual dues. Membership eligibility shall continue for retirees and for members whose active connection with the University has ended but who wish to retain or renew their membership.
Section 2. Only Life Memberships in place as of August 1, 2018 shall remain in force. Their voting privileges shall be retained, and their payment of dues is optional.
Section 3. Honorary membership shall be given to the wife of the University President or female University President and wives of past University Presidents or past female University Presidents.
Article III. Officers and Election
Section 1. The elected officers of this organization shall be a President, First Vice President, Second Vice President, Secretary and Treasurer. These elected officers make up the Executive Committee for WWSU.
Section 2. The appointed officers shall be an Auditor, a Courtesy Chair, Fundraiser Co-Chairs, an Interest Group Chair, a Membership List Chair, a New Members Chair, a Newsletter Chair, Scholarship Co-Chairs – for the WSU Dames, CUW and WWSU, Social Co-Chairs and a Website/Publicity Chair.
Section 3. These appointed positions along with the Executive Committee make up the Board for the organization. The officers shall perform the duties prescribed by these Bylaws and Constitution adopted by this organization.
Section 4. The President shall appoint a Nominating Committee consisting of three members, who shall present the name of at least one candidate for each Executive office. Additional nominations may be made from the floor provided those nominees have previously agreed to serve if elected. All nominees for President must have had previous Executive Committee experience.
Section 5. The term of office for the Executive Committee shall be a minimum of two years and shall begin on July 1 after the meeting at which they are installed. The maximum term in the same position on the Executive Committee is six years.
Section 6. A vacancy in any elected office may be filled by an appointment of the President.
Article IV. Duties of Officers
Section 1. Elected Officers.
- The President shall preside at all meetings, appoint all committee Chairs unless otherwise stated by the Bylaws, and have general supervision of all activities of the organization.
- The First Vice President shall assist the President and, in the absence of the President, discharge her duties. The past President shall fill this position and be in charge of the annual membership drive. She shall assist the Membership List Chair and review it for accuracy.
- The Second Vice President shall assist the President and, in the absence of the President and First Vice President, shall discharge the duties of the President. She shall serve as one of the Co-Chairs for the Social Committee.
- The Secretary shall keep a record of all proceedings of the Executive Committee and Board meetings. She shall have charge of all organization correspondence.
- The Treasurer shall be the custodian of all funds and financial records. She will be responsible for the collection and deposit all membership dues and deposits for all events. She shall keep an itemized account of all transactions and pay all authorized expenditures.
Section 2. Appointed Officers.
- The Auditor will coordinate an annual audit of the Treasurer’s records with the assistance of a faculty member in the Accounting Department at WSU by September 1 each year.
- The Courtesy Chair will be responsible for the following based on the updates posted to her email and then to the website Courtesy section:
- Get well cards shall be sent to any member who is ill or hospitalized.
- A baby card shall be sent to any member upon the birth or adoption of a baby.
- Sympathy cards shall be sent upon the death of a member or the spouse and immediate family of a member.