Approved August 2019
Article I. Name and Object
The name of this organization shall be Women of Wichita State University (“WWSU”). This organization was formed by merging the two organizations: Council of University Women (“CUW”) and Wichita State University Womens Association (“WSUWA”). The purpose shall be to serve the interests of the university, to provide student scholarships (through the WSU Dames, CUW and future WWSU scholarships), and to promote social interaction and a sense of community among its members.
Article II. Membership
The membership shall consist of all faculty wives and all WSU employeees (including all WSU Affiliated or Auxillary Corporations) classified, unclassified and faculty female staff who pay annual dues. Membership eligibility shall continue for retirees and for members whose active connection with the University has ended but who wish to retain or renew their membership.
Only Life Memberships in place as of August 1, 2018 shall remain in force. Their voting privileges shall be retained, and their payment of dues is optional.
Honorary membership shall be given to the wife of the University President or female University President and wives of past University Presidents or past female University Presidents.
Article III. Officers and Election
The elected officers of this organization shall be a President, First Vice President, Second Vice President, Secretary and Treasurer. These elected officers make up the Executive Commmittee for WWSU.
The appointed officers shall be an Auditor, a Courtesy Chair, Fundraiser Chair, an Interest Group Chair, a New Members Chair, a Newsletter Chair, Scholarship Co-Chairs – for the WSU Dames, CUW and WWSU, Social Chair and a Website/Publicity Chair.
These appointed positions along with the Executive Committee make up the Board for the organization. The officers shall perform the duties prescribed by these Bylaws and Constitution adopted by this organization.
The President shall appoint a Nominating Committee consisting of three members, who shall present the name of at least one candidate for each Executive office. Additional nominations may be made from the floor provided those nominees have previously agreed to serve if elected. All nominees for President must have had previous Executive Committee experience.
The term of office for the Executive Committee shall be a minimum of two years and shall begin on July 1 after the meeting at which they are installed. The maximum term in the same position on the Executive Committee is six years.
A vacancy in any elected office may be filled by an appointment of the President.
Article IV. Duties of Officers
Section 1: Elected Officers
- The President shall preside at all meetings, appoint all committee Chairs unless otherwise stated by the Bylaws, and have general supervision of all activities of the organization.
- The First Vice President shall assist the President and, in the absence of the President, discharge her duties. The past President shall fill this position and be in charge of the annual membership drive. She shall distribute the membership list to members by email.
- The Second Vice President shall assist the President and, in the absence of the President and First Vice President, shall discharge the duties of the President. She shall serve as one of the Co-Chairs for the Social Committee.
- The Secretary shall keep a record of all proceedings of the Executive Committee and Board meetings. She shall have charge of all organization correspondence.
- The Treasurer shall be the custodian of all funds and financial records. She will be responsible for the collection and deposit all membership dues and deposits for all events. She shall keep an itemized account of all transactions and pay all authorized expenditures.
Section 2: Appointed Officers
- The Auditor will coordinate an annual audit of the Treasurer’s records with the assistance of a faculty member in the Accounting Department at WSU by September 1 each year.
- The Courtesy Chair will be responsible for the following based on the updates posted to her email and then to the website Courtesy section:
- Get well cards shall be sent to any member who is ill or hospitalized.
- A baby card shall be sent to any member upon the birth or adoption of a baby.
- Sympathy cards shall be sent upon the death of a member or the spouse and immediate family of a member.
- At the death of a member, $25 shall be donated to: Women of Wichita State University Current Scholarship Fund. For any life members, these funds will be donated in the organization they were awarded life membership.
- Children’s books shall be purchased and placed in WSU’s Ablah Library in honor of
each of the following:
- the wife of each new University or female University President
- the out-going President of WWSU
- WSU staff or faculty who is a member of WWSU at her retirement
- The Fundraiser Chair will be responsible for coordinating a minimum of two events annually to raise funds for the scholarships.
- The Interest Group Chair will coordinate the activities of each established interest groups director. The Chair is also in charge of helping new groups form as interest indicates.
- The New Members Chair will organize a welcome event for all new members and will maintain contact with these new members for a period of one year.
- The Newsletter Chair shall provide pertinent information to the membership and publish a newsletter distributed by email four times a year.
- The Scholarship Co-Chairs will review applications and recommend recipients to the office of Financial Aid of Wichita State University for each scholarship: WSU Dames, Council of University Women and Women of Wichita State University.
- The Social Chair shall be responsible for securing appropriate facilities for monthly luncheon meetings. They are responsible for providing programs for the meetings as needed.
- The Website/Publicity Chair shall be responsible for maintaining the website and promoting the events of WWSU.
Article V. Meetings
The regular board meeting shall be held during the second or third week of the month as ordered by the President.
The number of members present shall constitute a quorum.
Article VI. Board
The elected officers and appointed officers of the organization shall constitute the Board.
The wife of the University President or female University President shall be an honorary Board member without voting privileges.
The Board shall have general supervision of the affairs of this organization between its business meetings/luncheons, establish the hour and place of meetings, make recommendations to the organization, and shall perform such other duties as are specified in these Bylaws. The Board shall be subject to the orders of the WWSU, and none of its acts shall conflict with action taken by the WWSU.
Article VII. Appointed Officers
All appointed officers shall report to the Executive Committee.
These officers are appointed by the President and together they shall select committee members as necessary unless otherwise provided by the Bylaws, and the committee membership shall be representative of the organization as a whole. Each appointed officer must keep a record of the years events for her successor.
Such other Appointed Officers or committees, standing or special, shall be appointed by the President (as the Board shall from time to time deem necessary) to carry on the work of the organization. The President shall be an ex-officio member of all committees except the Nominating Committee.
Article VIII. Parliamentary Authority
The rules contained in the current edition of Robert's Rules of Order, Newly Revised, shall govern the organization in all cases to which they are applicable and in which they are not inconsistent with these Bylaws and any special rules of order the organization may adopt.
Article IX. Amendment of Bylaws
Section 1: Bylaws
These Bylaws can be amended at any regular meeting of the organization by a majority vote of the members present, provided that the amendment has been submitted by email or in writing at the previous regular meeting.
Section 2: Standing Rules
These Standing Rules may be adopted or amended at any regular meeting by a majority vote.
Section 1: Membership
The annual dues of the organization shall be $12 payable by October 15 of each year. Second semester new members shall pay dues of $6 by February 15.
Dues shall be waived for the wife of the University President or the female University President, and the wife of any former University President or the former female University Presient. Life Members established by either WSUWA or CUW as of August 1, 2018 will be honored and dues can be waived but dues payment is encouraged.
Section 2: Officers
The President and Treasurer shall make the proposed budget and present it to the Board for approval at the first scheduled Board meeting.
Section 3: Scholarships
Monies from the Current and Endowed Scholarship Funds and from any fundraiser shall be added to the current fund and awarded based on the guidelines for each scholarship established with the Wichita State University Foundation. The Board can recommend that the monies be deposited into the endowed funds.
Section 4: Quorum
These By-laws may be amended at any business meeting by two-thirds vote of the active members present.
Section 5: Mail or Email Vote
At the president's discretion, a mail or Email vote may be required to amend these By-laws or any other action by the Board. All active members are sent a ballot and a quorum shall be the return of the ballots by the stated due date.