History of WSU Women's Association and
the Council of University Women
WSU Women's Association History
The WSU Women's Association purpose was serving the interests of the university, to provide student scholarships, and to promoting social interaction and a sense of community among its members.
The association was organized in 1928 as the Faculty Wives Club. Within two years, the group's members changed the club's name to the University of Wichita Dames and adopted a new mission: to develop a student loan fund. From that day forward, many students have attained their college educations through these loans.
In 1973, the Dames took a bold step and established a fund to be used for scholarships rather than loans. Its first fundraiser was held in the concourse of Henry Levitt Arena. It was a large attic sale, or, as it would be called today, a garage sale.
As the organization progressed, special projects were held each year to build on the organization's endowed scholarship fund, which is managed by the WSU Foundation.
Council of University Women History
The Council of University Women was organized in 1930. When established, its purpose was to raise funds for helping new female students at the University of Wichita through a scholarship fund. It was also the intent of its organizers to foster fellowship and friendliness among the female faculty and professional staff. In 1977, the constitution was revised to include all female employees as eligible for membership.
In the 1990s the purpose of the Council of University Women was to serve in the spirit of friendliness, to grow personally and to perpetuate the Council of University Women Endowed Scholarship Fund that was established in 1990. Each year CUW organized a series of luncheons with guest speakers, as well as fundraisers to promote these goals.