arrows with student images

Application FAQs

Application Fees
Application Fee

$75 nonrefundable application fee is due when you apply for university housing.

Your application will not be processed until the application fee and prepayment are received.

Housing Prepayment

A $200 housing prepayment is due when you apply and will be applied toward your room charges once you have been assigned a room.


Under the Americans with Disabilities Act, Wichita State is considered a public accommodation and may not discriminate against people with disabilities. Wichita State must provide equal access to all people by removal of physical barriers, provision of auxiliary aides, and “make reasonable changes in policies, practices and procedures to avoid discrimination.” – Source: Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)

How to Request Accommodations

By law, students with disabilities do not have to self-disclose or register with the Office of Student Accommodations & Testing or Housing and Residence Life. However, if you are seeking reasonable housing accommodations or adjustments, you must contact the Office of Student Accommodations & Testing.

All housing accommodations are determined on a case-by-case basis as follows:

    • Contact the Office of Student Accomodations & Testing (OSAT) and follow their documentation process
    • OSAT will contact Housing and Residence Life with their recommendations of reasonable accommodations to be made for you
    • Housing and Residence Life will notify you of your specific assignment and accommodation via your Shocker email account within three business days
    • If accommodations cannot be made due to space availability, you will be notified about the delay and what to expect next

Reasonable housing accommodations will be applicable for one academic year or lease period. You will need to request accommodations for each subsequent year or lease period.

Make your request for accommodations as soon as you apply for housing so we have the information we need to make the accommodations as early in the assignment process as possible.

Living Learning Communities

Living Learning Community (LLC) programs are made up of seven unique Living Learning Communities in our first-year residence hall that blend academics and daily life through classes and activities. You’ll get more out of your Wichita State experience in an LLC: more adventure, more community, and more learning opportunities.

Explore our LLC communities and select the one that’s right for you.

Gender Inclusive Housing

Gender-inclusive housing is an option that you can select as a preference when you apply to live on campus.

What is Gender Inclusive?

“Gender Inclusive” housing means that you can be housed with any other student regardless of their gender identity. For example:

  • If you want to live with a friend who is not the same gender as you, you can both select “Gender Inclusive” housing on your applications. The Housing department will reach out to you at a later date (via student email) to determine roommate choices.
  • If you don’t have a roommate preference but would like to live with people of different genders

Gender inclusive housing is not intended for intimate or romantic relationships.

Gender Inclusive Housing Assignment

There are a lot of reasons why you may choose gender-inclusive housing as an option, but here are some things to remember:

  • Gender-inclusive housing is offered, as space is available, in all our residential halls
  • As with all of our housing options, for the best chance of getting your housing preference, it’s essential to apply early.
  • If we don’t have space for all applicants who request gender-inclusive housing, we will house people who request gender-inclusive housing according to the gender identity listed on their application
  • In order to be assigned to gender-inclusive housing all students in the unit must have requested “Gender Inclusive” as a preference on the housing application

If you have questions regarding gender-inclusive housing, please contact or (316) 978-3698 to answer your questions. If you have questions about gender identity or support for gender-related topics, visit the Office of Diversity and Inclusion website or contact them directly.

Housing Contract

The Housing Contract Terms and Conditions is a legally binding agreement that covers the term you are applying for (Academic year covers fall and spring semesters). Students must be enrolled full-time (12 credits or more) to be eligible to continue to live on campus.

The housing costs for the agreement do not include the winter break. Often, the cost of staying in the halls during winter break is waived when a student lives on campus for the full academic year. However, additional costs may apply if a student leaves on-campus housing mid-year or is no longer enrolled in enough credits to remain in housing. If you plan to stay on campus during any break period, please notify us by completing a break request through your Shocker Housing portal. If you plan to leave your housing assignment before the end of the academic year, you may be liable for additional cancellation fees.

Room Preferences
Why wasn't able to select my room preferences on the application?

As opposed to traditional room allocations, Wichita State allows students to select their room themselves when room selection opens in March. This is why it's important to get your application in as soon as possible and be part of the first groups to pass through our room selection process.

How can I make sure I get a single room?

Every year, single bedrooms are in high demand. There are many factors that can impact your room selection including your roommate group, accomodations, and special reservations (such as those in our Living Learning Community groups). While we cannot guarantee that you will get your preferred room type, it does help for you to submit your Housing Application early and follow all the necessary steps to complete the application. See our Important Academic Year Application Dates below.

How can I ensure I live in my preferred building?

Shocker Hall and Suites are generally reserved for our first-year or new students, and the Flats is reserved for our returning or transfer students. You will see the buildings during room selection based on your incoming student status. If you are unable to get into the building you prefer, you can always enter our waitlist on June 1 to find a room better suited to your needs.

Important Academic Year Application Dates

Dates Events
October 1 Spring only and next academic year housing applications open
December 1

Early-Bird Priority Deadline  - For all students (new and returning) to be placed in the first round of room selection

February 1 Returners Priority Deadline - Returning students who apply before this date will be placed in the second round of room selection
February 15

Complete your Personal Profile and/or Roommate Group

Return to the application in the Shocker Housing portal to finish your application by answering your personal profile questions. You can begin searching for roommates or suitemates at this time.

February 23

LLC Application Deadline for New Students

March 1 New Student Priority Deadline - New students who apply before this date will be placed in the second round of room selection

Room Selection Begins

You will receive an email with the date and time of your room selection timeslot. This tells you when you may revisit your Shocker Housing Portal to select your room. The earlier you have submitted your application, the earlier your room selection timeslot will be.

June 1
  1. Waitlist Opens for the Academic Year
  2. No Charge Cancellation Deadline - if you cancel on or before June 1, you will not be penalized and your prepayment will be refunded
July 1 Last day to cancel your housing application without a cancellation fee (prepayment is forfeited)
August 1

Last day to cancel your housing application for a $500 cancellation fee (prepayment is forfeited)

August 10

Move-in Day! Be sure to follow our Move-In Day guide for more information