Deployment/Change of Status

Wichita State University recognizes the special circumstances faced by our students who are being deployed for military services. Following is a brief outline of what is required by various offices to assist you with your withdraw from classes, and your eventual return to WSU. These procedures are for students whose deployment will exceed 30 days (Real World Deployment), not for weekend reserve or guard commitments.

WSU VA Education Benefits Office-

Located in the Military and Veterans Student Center in Grace Wilkie 105 and may be contacted by phone at 316-978-3547 or by email to

  • Complete a Change of Program/Benefit Form (print form for the correct academic year from Forms page) to address your mitigating circumstance.
  • Provide a copy of your military orders
Registrar's Office-

Located on the first floor of Jardine Hall, Room 102, or by phone at 978-3090.

  • Officially withdraw from your classes. If your military activation is after the published last date to withdraw for the term, you will need to file a petition for a late withdrawal through your academic college.
  • Your withdrawal must be processed before the end of classes for that semester.
Financial Operations-

Located on the second floor of Jardine Hall, Room 201, or by phone at 978-3076.

  • You must complete "Petition for Exception to Refund Policy" form in order to request a full tuition credit for your withdrawn courses. Attach a copy of your military orders.
  • Regardless of the date of your withdrawal, you may be eligible for 100% refund of tuition and fees for the term through this petition process.
  • If you received financial aid, the refund will be returned to the appropriate financial aid programs in accordance with our regular refund policy and federal regulations.
  • If the refund is to be issued to you, the refund will be applied to your account balance first. If no account balance is due, refunds are processed with the following priority: credited to credit cards, direct deposit, paper checks mailed within the United States.
Financial Aid-

Located on the second floor of Jardine Hall, Room 203, or by phone at (316) 978-3430.

  • If you have received any federal financial aid, it is important to contact the Office of Financial regarding any situations which may arise as a result of your withdrawal.
  • When you return to WSU, we encourage you to meet with a Financial Aid Advisor to discuss what special arrangements may be possible with respect to changes in your family's financial situation resulting from your active duty and/or deployment.

Located in the Rhatigan Student Center (RSC), and may also be contacted by phone at 978-3490

  • Show a copy of your military orders, withdrawal approval from Financial Operations showing 100% refund and a copy of your book receipt when you return your books.

If you live on campus, you should contact the WSU Housing Office to discuss their policies in regards to your housing contract terms.

Student Loans (Lenders)-
  • If you have received federal student loans, it is important to contact your loan servicers to discuss any opportunities available while you are deployed. Many servicers may offer services for deployment-connected deferment of student loan repayment while you are actively deployed. To determine your loan servicer(s), please log on to the National Student Loan Database System to review your loan history and servicer contact information.