Students earn Honors credit in many ways:

HNRS seminars explore interesting topics and engage students in discussion. All HNRS seminar courses (not including HNRS 485, 486, internships, independent study, and travel seminars) fulfill General Education requirements. These courses are those offered by the Cohen Honors College, and topics change each semester. Students in the Cohen Honors College may enroll in these classes, and any student may enroll in one HNRS class before applying to be a member of the college.

“H” departmental honors courses fulfill general education or major requirements. They are offered by other academic departments and have the letter “H” following the course number or the word “Honors” in the title of the course. Sometimes these classes are specifically for students in the Honors College or the departmental honors track, and sometimes these courses are offered as a smaller section within the regular section of the class.

Turn a regular course into an Honors course with an Honors option agreement form. In any course with a fulltime faculty instructor, you may request to earn Honors credit. Examples of work completed to earn Honors credit include:

  • Apply in-class knowledge to real-world experience: Research current labor conditions for stagehands, and volunteer for backstage work in a local performance during a Fine Arts course. Write a research and reflection paper.
  • Further studies: Read additional primary source materials, solve additional problems, or extend course material in some way that will contribute to the depth of knowledge about the discipline. Share the research or application of knowledge with the instructor and the class.
  • Research: Assist the professor with a small part of current research; learn the skills needed to understand plant morphology or to engage in teacher research; prepare for an application for an undergraduate student research grant.

Applied Learning courses allow you to earn credit for experiences that go beyond the traditional lecture or discussion classroom. You may earn credit for study abroad through the HNRS 398 Travel Seminar, for an internship or cooperative education through HNRS 481, and for service learning or independent research. Talk to your Honors academic advisor for more information.