Free Income Tax PreparationIncome Tax Preparation

Access tax preparation software here. This website is the result of a national partnership between the United Way and the IRS. Households / individuals with annual income of $64,000 or less will be able to prepare, file and print their federal and up to three state tax returns (if needed) at no cost. The online tax preparation software allows you to save a partial tax return so you can come back later to finish.

*Please note that only simple tax returns are free. Students who have a health savings plan or who need to file schedule C, D or E forms will be charged a fee from the software company.

International students: The MyFreeTaxes site does not provide the tax forms you will need. Use the Glacier Tax Prep program provided through the Office for International Education. Call the Office for Student Money Management at 316-978-3254 or email to schedule a virtual 45-minute appointment for assistance with the Glacier program or your state income taxes.

Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA): Federal income taxes for your prior year's income must be filed before you can complete your FAFSA for the following year.

The list below contains documents that are typically needed to prepare an income tax return.

Wage and income information.

  1. W-2 form or each job and every person in the household.
    This is the form from an employer with your name, wages, salary, tips, and other tax information such as amounts withheld.
  2. Any 1098 and 1099 forms.
    These are for payments from unemployment, social security, financial aid/education expenses, health care reimbursement, pensions, disability, state tax refund, contract work, gambling winnings and other payments reported to the IRS. If you received alimony, you will need the amount received and the payer’s SSN.
  3. Income/Interest Statements from banks and investments.
    The forms normally used to report this income are named 1099-INT, 1099-B or 1099-DIV. Your bank may just send a letter with this information, or it may be available on your bank’s website.
  4. Bank account numbers.
    Your account number and the routing number from your bank or credit union will be needed for a refund to be directly deposited to your account. A voided check will have this information on it.
  5. Last year’s tax return.
    This is important for electronic filing. The adjusted gross income from last year’s return can be used as a PIN to sign this year’s return. You may also be able to access a PIN here. You will receive a refund several weeks faster with electronic tax filing and direct deposit.

Information for you and everyone in your household.

  1. Name and taxpayer number exactly as they appear on the Social Security Card or Individual Taxpayer Identification letter (ITIN) for you and your dependents. It is very important to know if you are being claimed as a dependent on someone else’s, like your parents’, tax return. If this is done incorrectly, both your parents’ and your own tax return could be significantly delayed.
  2. Birth Dates for you and everyone in your household.
  3. Current address (it may be different than the addresses listed on other documents)

If any of the following topics fit your situation, these documents can help you reduce taxes or increase refund.

  1. Childcare expenses.
    You need the name, address, Tax ID or Social Security Number of the childcare provider.
  2. Business expenses and assets.
    If you are self-employed or have a small business.
  3. College financial information.
    Loan, scholarship, and expenses should be reported on a Form 1098-T or 1098-E.
  4. Educator expenses.
    This is for people teaching K-12 for school supplies and other material used in class.
  5. Charitable donations.
    List of contribution amounts and who they went to. Receipts for amounts over $250.
  6. Renters.
    Amount you paid in rent.
  7. Home owners.
    Mortgage interest and real estate taxes -- Form 1098 or real estate tax receipt.
  8. Retirement / IRA accounts.
    Amounts contributed and total IRA value as of December.

You should print a copy of your federal and state tax returns to keep for your records. You should save tax returns and information used to prepare your taxes for seven years. In most cases, having your tax return from this year makes it easier for you to prepare and file your taxes next year.

Were you self-employed during 2020? If taxes weren't withheld from the money you earned, you may need to send in estimated tax payments throughout the year to avoid a penalty. Click the link below or visit OSMM to learn more:

2020 Federal Estimated Tax for Individuals 1040-ES (PDF)

Call the Office for Student Money Management (OSMM) in 115 Neff Hall, Wichita State University at 316-978-3254  or email for more information.