As part of a January Pre-Session course, students will enroll in HNRS398J: Learning Through Serving as either a 1 credit or 3 credit travel seminar. This course engages in Academic Service-Learning and builds on the National Collegiate Honors Council Partners in the Park best practice. Prior to travel, students will explore a variety of resources and artifacts focused on the NPS, Grand Canyon, stewardship and connection to nature, and servant leadership (Academic Material, See Graphic Below). Students will also volunteer in partnership with Grand Canyon National Park (Relevant Service, See Graphic Below). Finally, students will reflect throughout the entirety of the experience through various methods of personal and group reflection activities
- Students and Faculty will travel during January 6/7 - January 13/14, 2023. Travel will require flights and van/shuttle to/from airport and Grand Canyon National Park.
- Lodging will be provided in volunteer housing within Grand Canyon National Park.
- A detailed packing list will be provided for students prior to end of the fall semester.
- Pre-travel group meetings will be communicated with students. (December 2022).
- On-Trip Travel (January 6/7 - January 13/14, 2023).
- Post-travel group meetings will be communicated with students (January 2023).
- As a travel seminar, the vast majority of “class meetings” occur during the on-trip experience.
Students will be responsible for the cost of tuition for the HNRS398J: Learning Through Serving (1 or 3 credit hours). Cost associated with travel (flights, ground transportation, lodging, and meals) are covered by a gift in honor of Bill Cohen. Students are responsible for any discretionary spending (i.e. souvenirs, snacks, etc.) during our trip.