The following information outlines hiring procedures for the three types of temporary employees.
- How to Hire Agency Temps
- How to Hire Unclassified Temps
- Terminating a Temporary Employee
- ACA Considerations
An agency may be used to secure a temporary employee when the hiring department does not have a person in mind to fill a temporary opening.
Checklist for Hiring an Agency Temp
1. The hiring manager should complete the appropriate agency request form, which provides information concerning the position to be filled. Once completed you will need to secure all required approvals.
2. The hiring manager should note the rate of pay for positions as outlined on the following pay charts. The rate of pay listed here is the billing rate for the agency, not what the employee will receive as an hourly wage.
3. The completed form should be emailed to Julie Windham in Human Resources. In the email, please include the following information:
a. Actual work schedule (ex 8 am to 2 pm).
b. Whether you would like to interview candidates or have the agency select a candidate for you.
c. Any other special requirements for position not included on the request form.
4. Human Resources will coordinate with the temp agencies and secure candidates for interview or a candidate for placement, depending on the hiring manager’s preference.
5. If the hiring manager is interviewing, Human Resources will work with as a liaison to the agency in getting interviews scheduled.
6. Once a candidate is selected, Human Resources will work with the agency to ensure that a background check is complete and a start date is set.
7. Agency temps will not need to report to Human Resources on the first day of work. They will, however, need to complete the Employee Information sheet. This form should be completed on the first day of work and emailed to Lyndsay Pletcher.
Unclassified Temporary Employee positions do not receive benefits and are usually employed for a specific project up to one year. There are two types of temporary employee positions. U3 positions are nonexempt (hourly) and U4 positions are exempt (salary). A background check is required for all employees who have an appointment for six months or more.
U3 positions are paid based on the number of hours reported on the biweekly exception reports. U4 positions are paid a biweekly salary until termination.
Unclassified temporary employees are considered "at will employees" and they have no entitlement or expectation to continue employment during or beyond the appointment period.
Unclassified temp searches will not use PeopleAdmin as the positions are not benefits eligible. A position description should be created and emailed to email@example.com, for exempt temporary positions (U4). The position description will be reviewed to ensure it meets the qualifications for exempt status. A position description is not necessary for non-exempt temporary positions (U3).
A temporary appointment may not be used as a trial period for assessing an individual's ability and performance prior to regular appointment. Recruitment for a regular position shall not be expanded upon or tailored to insure the selection of a temporary employee.
- Sign-up: The temporary employee will complete the Unclassified Professional Hire Packet with the department representative. The department representative will ensure all forms are complete and complete Section 2 of the Form I-9. The department representative will view and copy the documentation submitted for the Form I-9. The temporary employee will come to OHR with the completed Hire Packet to obtain a Shocker Card. The employee will need to bring their Driver's License and social security card or other acceptable documentation as noted on the Form I-9. The employee will also need to bring a voided check or deposit slip for the mandatory direct deposit of payroll.
- Benefits: All temp employees are covered by FICA, Worker's Compensation and Unemployment Compensation. Temp employees are not eligible for regular employee rights, privileges or benefits. Time worked in one or more temporary positions shall not be counted as part of the probationary period if an individual is subsequently hired in a regular position.
- Hours Worked: Hours actually worked for U3 employees will be recorded on an exception report form and entered on the time record screen (PHATIME) n Banner. Temp employees are not eligible for holiday pay or leave (i.e. vacation leave, sick leave, discretionary day, jury duty, funeral leave, inclement weather pay, etc.)
- Termination of Employment: Temp employees are employed at the discretion of the hiring department and may be terminated without cause at any time, notwithstanding the term for which the employee was hired.
Checklist for Hiring an Unclassified Temp
- The temporary employee completes the Unclassified Professional Hire Packet with the department representative.
- The department representative reviews the Hire Packet, views and copies the documentation submitted for the Form I-9 and completes Section 2 of the Form I-9.
- The temporary employee brings completed Hire Packet to the Office of Human Resources. A myWSU ID will be generated and the employee will go to the Shocker Card Center to obtain a Shocker Card.
- The department representative will submit the ePAF for a U3 or U4 new hire once the background check has been completed.
- All approvals for the ePAF must be obtained before any employee begins to perform work for the University.
Temporary employees may be terminated with or without notice. When possible, it is preferable to give some notice of the impending end of assignment.
Unclassified Temporary Employees
- The department representative will submit a Termination ePAF to terminate the employee and route for approvals.
Agency Temporary Employees
- Contact Julie Windham (316-978-3554) in Human Resources with term date. Also include whether the hiring manager will be notifying the temp employee or if you would like the agency to complete the employee notification.
Operations & System Team
Reviewed: 01/09/2017 JW
Revised: 03/27/2018 DC