Welcome to the August, 2022 ARC!
The August, 2022 ARC will take place August 15-19. Most events will be online with a blend of synchronous and asynchronous content. On Wednesday, August 17, the ARC will join with the Graduate School to host in-person events for all new and returning GTAs.
Except for LinkedIn Learning courses, all ARC events are free for anyone in the higher education community to attend. We invite all interested parties to our events! As always, anyone associated with Wichita State as a student, instructor of any rank, or as staff can also take advantage of the LinkedIn Learning opportunities. If you are associated with Wichita State but have not yet claimed your LinkedIn Learning license, please do so by following the instructions online.
Find the Zoom links in the Outlook invites that download when you click on the title of a session. A day or two after each session, the Outlook invite will be replaced by a link to the session recording.
- How to Increase Learner Engagement
- Gamification of Learning
- 15 Secrets Successful People Know About Time Management
- How to Speak so Others WANT to Listen
- How Getting Curious Helps You Achieve Everything
- Inclusive Instructional Design
- Applying Analytics to Your Learning Program
- Mindful Stress Management
- Increase Visibility to Advance your Career
- "Physical Classroom Update"
- "What do Great Courses Have in Common, A Discussion"
- "Assignments that Work, a Discussion"
- "New Excel Features"
- "Teaching Resources for YOU"
- "GRA? GTA? GA? What's the Difference?"
- "When a Program Adopts Ultra Course Format: RN to BSN's Experience"
- "Myths About Teaching and Learning"
- "Encouraging Metacognition in Students"
- "Intersectionality of ODI and ODS"
- "Learning Theories Introduction"
- Session Recording for "Ultra, What's New? What's Coming?" Note: this video link requires viewers to sign in using WSU credentials to maintain security of the information, done at the request of Anthology.
11:00-11:50: Session recording for "How and Where to Get Help," Presented by Carolyn Speer.
- Slides for "Get Help"
- Join Instructor Facebook Group
- Banner 9 Grade Entry Instructions
- CMS FAQ page
- Instructor's "Instruction Manual"
- Recording of "Get to Know Your Instruction Manual" from May, 2022
1:00-3:00: Labs are available all year long on Tuesdays and Wednesdays from 1:00-3:00pm on Zoom. To get the Zoom link, please check out our Labs webpage.
1:00-1:50: Session recording for "Proctoring with Examity," Presented by Jesus Diaz.
2:00-2:50: Session recording for "What's New With the Ultra Gradebook," (note: this link will only work for people logged in to the WSU system) Presented by Fredrik Klemming from Anthology.
3:00-3:50: Session recording for "Finding OER for Your Classes," Presented by Maria Sclafani.
A 'Stunning' Level of Student Disconnection." Article Club Session Invitation. PDF version of article NOTE: no recording was made of this session.
6:00-6:50: Session recording for "Building a Course in the Ultra Course Format," Presented by Mary Morriss.
- Accessibility Training Slides
- Session recording for "AY 2022/23 Required Accessibility Training for Faculty." IMPORTANT: if you are a WSU instructor of any rank, and you watch this recording, please send and email to OIR@wichita.edu and let us know your WSU ID and that you watched the video. We will see that your attendance is recorded so you don't get asked to do it again!
1:00-3:00: 1:00-3:00: Labs are available all year long on Tuesdays and Wednesdays from 1:00-3:00pm on Zoom. To get the Zoom link, please check out our Labs webpage.
1:00-1:50: "Meet Your Design 'School' with John Hammer," Presented by John Hammer.
6:00-6:30: "Time Savers: Zoom to Panopto and Respondus Test Builder," Presented by Carolyn Speer.
10:00-10:50: "Getting Started With Blackboard," Presented by Mary Morriss.
- Session Recording for "Getting Started with Blackboard"
- Blackboard "Classic" Support Pages
- Blackboard "Ultra" Support Pages
Noon-12:50: Panel Hour! "What to do When a Vendor Comes Calling" Presented by Brett Morril and John Jones.
please check out our Labs webpage.
1:00-1:50: "Mental Health for Instructors," Presented by Chris Leonard.
4:00-4:50: "Tenure and Promotion Process at WSU," Presented by Gery Markova. No Session Recording Available.
6:00-6:50: "Getting Started with Blackboard," Presented by Mary Morriss.
All morning events will be held in the Rhatigan Student Center, Room 233. All afternoon events will be offered through Zoom, and GTAs are welcome to view the Zoom events on their own or in Room 233, as they will be projected there as well. Light food, prizes and gifts will be available to all GTAs (new and returning) who attend morning sessions in person, and cookies will be available to GTAs who watch the Zoom sessions in Room 233 as a group.
Here is the GTA Training Schedule for Wednesday, August 17, 2022:
- 8:30-12:30 events are in the Rhatigan Student Center Room 233:
- 8:30: Check-in and light breakfast
- 9:00-9:20: Welcome and orientation for the day
- 9:20-9:50: Overview of online resources and university support for GTAs
- 10:00-10:45: President Rick Muma addresses GTAs. President Muma will be addressing GTAs via Zoom. If you would like to join this session, please use this link: Muma Address to GTAs. Freedom of Expression Video
- 10:45-11:00: Short break, light refreshments served
- 11:00-12:30: Suicide Prevention Training. All attendees will receive a WSU t-shirt
- 12:30-1:00: Lunch on your own
- Zoom link for afternoon sessions
- 1:00-1:25: Getting Ready to Teach or Support
- 1:30-1:55: Understanding University Library Resources
- 2:00-2:25: Accessibility Training
- 2:30-2:55: Quick Introduction to Blackboard
- 3:00-4:00: Everything you need to know about your assistantship
- 4:00: Released
"Give Me Some Space!: Cloud Storage Options at WSU," Presented by Ali Levine.
"Add Panopto Quizzes to Your Videos," Presented by John Hammer.
Panel Hour! "Inclusive University" Moderator: Jody Fiorini. Panel: Edil Torrez Rivera, Aaron Austin, Valerie Thompson, and Jenny Pearson.
- Session Recording of "Inclusive University"
- Information on name change process at WSU
- LGBTQ Resource Page
- Report Discrimination
- Wichita State Office of Diversity and Inclusion
1:00-2:30 (90-minute session): "Preparing Neurodivergent Students to Enter the Workplace," Presented by Specialisterne.
- Slides for Preparing Neurodivergent Student to Enter the Workforce
- Session Recording of "Preparing Neurodivergent Students to Enter the Workforce"
- WSU Resource: ASD Students in the Classroom
- WSU Resource: About ASD
- WSU Resource: Welcoming ASD Students to Events
4:00-4:50: "Making the Most of University Libraries" Presented by Meghann Kuhlmann and Aaron Bowen.
6:00-6:50: "Getting Started with Panopto," Presented by Carolyn Speer.
11:00-11:50: EARLY Panel Hour! "An Instructor's Guide to Student Affairs," Presented by representatives from Student Affairs.
- No recording for this session, unfortunately
- Support Shocker Support Locker
- Shocker Support Locker Wish List
- Shocker Family Programs
- Support Suspenders for Hope
- Giving Day Information